Thursday, August 6, 2009

Poor Fritz. Poor, poor Fritz...


Finally gets the special attention he's been craving. One of my first things in the morning, after I'm vertical and possessed of two legs, is to take inventory of the dogs and cat to settle my mind that no bad thing happened overnight. I kinda liked it better when everybody wanted to sleep indoors with me. All present and accounted for this morning, but one on sick call: Overnight for some reason Fritz' ear swelled up like a balloon.

Call a nearby vet: They've been closed for a week, are swamped, and are turning away walk-ins. Call a vet farther away: I can bring Fritz in and take my chances, but there's a heart-stopping fee on top of the usual office visit charge. Call the local horse-doctor: No answer yet. We're starting to discuss sticking a scalpel in his ear to drain the abscess, because he's getting worse and worse as the morning progresses, but then (he may have heard us) he stopped getting worse and so emergency measures are on hold. I got an appointment for him tomorrow evening, but earlier today that was looking inadequate. Still waiting to see, and hoping the local horse-doc will call me back and be in a good mood.

One thing we don't have enough of here, and will be making plans to remedy, is a good supply of vet supplies. We've got too many dogs now (we're up to eight at the moment) to be so dependent on outsiders who are already swamped with work.

1 comment:

lewlew said...

Poor Fritz =(. Miss Virginia once had a hemotomia of the ear and it looked very similar to Fritz's ear. It typically just takes time to heal; definitely looks worse than it is.